Thursday, April 11, 2013

Book 13: Midnighters - Touching Darkness

Since I needed a couple easy reads to get caught up on my book quota, I decided to finish out the Midnighters Series by Scott Westerfeld before I started anything else. So, for book 13 I chose Midnighters - Touching Darkness.


Author Links: Website / Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads

Buy it Now: Amazon / Barnes and Noble








*Spoiler Alert: This is book two in a series. If you don't want book one spoiled, you should probably stop reading.*

Read my review of book one here.

Book Summary:
Touching Darkness picks up a mere days after The Secret Hour ends. Now that Jessica knows she's a flame bringer, meaning she can use technology during the blue time, she seems to be safe from darkling threats. But when the midnighters find out that the ancient darklings have teamed up with some humans, or stiffs as the team calls them, they aren't sure exactly what to do. Help, however, comes from an unexpected source as the the group uncovers the reason why there is no lore from the last fifty years.

My Review:
Unlike The Secret Hour, which I felt was just setting up plot lines for this story, Touching Darkness does a great job of standing on its own. If I didn't know going in that this was a trilogy, I wouldn't have known just from reading this that there was another book to follow. Westerfeld also gives the reader a lot more background information on the characters. I especially liked how much more we learned about Melissa's ability, as she was kind of to the background a good bit in The Secret Hour. Being a mindcaster is about so much more than just being able to hear people's thoughts, and I didn't completely get that until the character of Madeleine was introduced. Speaking of Madeleine, her character was my favorite aspect about this book, as it enabled the author to answer most of my questions from the first book. My biggest issue with the first book was the idea that somehow there are five midnighters in Bixby who are all teenagers. This was very unbelievable to me. However, this issue was explained in detail throughout Touching Darkness.

As far as what I didn't enjoy, my biggest complaint was that I felt like the ending was rushed just like it was in The Secret Hour. Although the buildup wasn't quite as slow, I still thought the climax of the novel could have been written a little better. I also really began to dislike Rex throughout this story. His jealousy over Melissa touching anyone but him drove me crazy. Plus, his reaction to just about everything Jonathan says made me want to smack him. Lastly, I really didn't like that the swearing was amped up a good bit. I realize that teenagers swear, but since there was basically no swearing in the first book and this takes place like a week after those events, I didn't really understand why all the characters randomly started swearing so much.

Overall, I did enjoy this book at least as much as the first in the series. As I stated above, there is a good bit of swearing, however there are no f-bombs dropped anywhere. As far as sexual references go, there are a few scenes where the characters talk about sex, though they never come right out and say it. There are no graphic scenes, though, and the worst the characters do is kiss.

My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment