Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Book 12: The End of Your Life Book Club

I am seriously addicted to Goodreads. Since utilizing it a couple months ago, I've read quite a few books that I wouldn't have normally picked up. The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe is one such book, and I am so glad I got my hands on it.



Author Links: Website / Twitter / Goodreads

Buy it Now: Amazon / Barnes and Noble







Book Summary:
The End of Your Life Book Club is a memoir written by a son about the last years of his mom's life. When Mary Anne was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, her life became filled with visits to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Deciding to use this time at the center as a way to connect with family and friends, she and her son start a not-so traditional book club. They are the only members, and they rarely read the same books at the same time. In this book, Schwalbe chronicles the remaining two years of his mother's life by the books they read and the discussions they had. Along the way he discovers not only new authors and books, but also things he didn't know about his mother.

My Review:
I'm pretty sure that this was the first memoir I've ever read. And if all memoirs are written like this one, I'm sure it will not be the last. It took me a lot longer to read this than I initially thought it would, but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy it. It was actually because I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to soak up every word instead of speed reading my way through it as I do with most books.

The first thing that I loved about this book is that on top of being a beautifully written chronicle of mother and son connecting through an unfortunate circumstance, it's a book about books. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love books, and as Mary Anne says at one point in the story (not a direct quote here because I now can't find the page), how can someone who loves books not like a story about loving books and the importance of the written word. I think the thing that struck me the most about this book, though, is Mary Anne as a person. She is fully devoted to her family while still being fully devoted to all her causes. As she is a huge supporter and volunteer of numerous organizations, she spends much of her life helping raise money and awareness along with flying around the world to volunteer. Mary Anne seriously inspired me while I was reading this. There is one point after she and Will have read the book Suite Française, that Will basically says he feels guilty for not doing more in the world to help others and this is his mother's reply:

"I loved the people I met on all my trips, Will. I loved hearing their stories and getting to know them and finding out what if anything we could all do to help. That's enriched my life more than I can say. Of course you could do more - you can always do more, and you should do more - but still, the important thing is to do what you can, whenever you can. You just do your best, and that's all you can do. Too many people use the excuse that they don't think they can do enough, so they decide they don't have to do anything. There's never a good excuse for not doing anything - even if it's just to sign something, or send a small contribution, or invite a newly settled refugee family over for Thanksgiving."

I loved this quote from the book because after reading this story I feel like I knew Mary Anne, and I feel like this quote is basically how she lived her entire life, doing what she could whenever she could. And that's really how I want to live my life.

There really wasn't much that I disliked about this book. In all honesty as it was a true story written about real people, the things I tended not to like were ultimately places where I just disagreed with the author or Mary Anne. For instance, while talking about feminism, she makes a point to say that although she doesn't disagree with women who decide to be house wives or stay-at-home mothers, she doesn't approve of people getting advanced degrees and then deciding to stay home. Her argument is basically that while you got your degree you took a spot from someone else and that you should do something with that education to help others. While I fully understand her point of view on this, I definitely do not agree with her, especially since in this day and age women tend to have children much later in life. They could have had a great career before they decided to settle down and have a family. Another thing I disliked about this book was that I felt like there was a lot of political stuff in it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and it wasn't like a blaring horn with the politics; I just sort of felt like the author was trying to push his political views onto me inception style. Lastly, I felt as though the author worshiped his mom a little too much while writing this. Although I think it's beautifully written, there were parts where I felt like he was looking through rose colored glasses. Although I'm sure his mother was wonderful, especially through his eyes, I felt like there wasn't anything bad written about her in this story. She never gets angry, and whenever something bad happens to her she first thinks about how it affected others. For example, when she falls in front of her grandkids, she's more concerned that she scared them than she is that she fell. She seemed very Mother Teresa-ish as I read this, and that makes me slightly skeptical.

Overall, I did love this book. It made me cry a couple times (which almost never happens when I'm reading). There are very few curse words and no sexual references (though since she works with refugees there are a couple times where rape comes up but nothing graphic is ever discussed).

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment