Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book 1: An Abundance of Katherines

So for Christmas my parents got me this book set:


And being that I love John Green (seriously, he's awesome...check out the vlogbrothers on youtube and be amazed by his awesomeness), I was super excited to open this. Now, at this point I had already read The Fault in Our Stars* and Looking for Alaska, so I started with An Abundance of Katherines.


Author Links: Website / Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads / Tumblr

Buy it now: Amazon / Barnes and Noble








Book Summary:
The main character is a seventeen-year-old child prodigy named Colin Singleton, and he's dated a lot of girls named Katherine. In fact, he's dated only girls named Katherine (spelled as such)...nineteen of them to be exact, and they all seem to dump him.

After being dumped by his most recent girlfriend, Katherine XIX, he and his best, and only, friend Hassan Harbish decide to go on a road trip. They end up in the town of Gutshot, Tennessee where they meet Lindsay Lee Wells and her mother Hollis. When Hollis offers them a job and a place to stay, they decide to stick around Gutshot. While there Colin comes up with a theorem that he believes will be his big Eureka moment that will transform him from child prodigy to genius, an equation that can predict the outcome of any relationship.

My Review:
So, ultimately I liked An Abundance of Katherines. It had a fun storyline that was easy to follow. It's an original concept that's humorous and super quirky, which I loved. One of my favorite things about this book is all the footnotes explaining things Colin says, and trust me, some of them you will actually need to look at to understand what he's talking about. Colin is really smart, so he has a very hard time making friends and doesn't fully understand some of the nuances of human interaction. I found the scenes where he doesn't fully understand why people do certain things very amusing.

One thing that started to get slightly annoying was the fact that Colin likes to anagram anything and everything, so there are tons of times in this book where he randomly starts anagramming.  By the end I was just skipping over those parts. Because the storyline is so easy to follow, I found myself zoning out at times and realizing that I didn't remember anything from the last page, but it never really mattered enough for me to go back and re-read it. 

All in all, this book is a fun coming of age novel that I believe teens and adults alike would enjoy. As far as swearing goes, the characters use the word "fug" to replace the f word, and I believe most, if not all, other cursing is done in other languages. There are some sexual references along with one sexual scene that is slightly graphic.

My Rating: 7/10


*I read The Fault in our Stars twice last year. It is by far my favorite of John Green's books. You will laugh, you will cry...it has everything you want in a book. If I was reviewing it right now I would be giving it a 10/10. I would definitely recommend you check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment