Saturday, February 23, 2013

Book 7: Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova has been on my to-read list for a couple years, but for some reason I never got around to reading it. I decided this challenge was the perfect time to pick it up, so I chose to read it as my seventh book.


Author Links: Website / Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads

Buy it Now: Amazon / Barnes and Noble








Book Summary:
Alice Howard lives a great life. She's in her early fifties, has a husband and three grown children, works as a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard, and is an expert in linguistics. After becoming extremely forgetful and at times disoriented, she goes to the doctor to find out if these are symptoms of menopause or something greater. From there her doctor sends her to a neurologist, where she discovers that she has early-onset Alzheimer's disease. Told in month to month format, this heartbreaking story tells of how she progresses from simple misplaced items to forgetting her family.

My Review:
Since I can't afford to purchase fifty-two books this year, most of the books I've been reading have come from the library. Because they come from the library, at times I won't be able to read the book I really want to read. This is what happened to lead me to read Still Alice. I really wanted to read Insurgent (the sequel to Divergent) next, but I was unable to obtain a copy. Instead, I decided to read one of the books that I pulled from my grandma's shelf last month when I went to Wellsburg for her funeral. I am so glad that I did.

I really, really enjoyed this book. The story was so heartbreaking that I couldn't put it down. Having had two Grandmother's fall into dementia, much of this story hit close to home for me. Especially when it got to the point of her not recognizing her children and calling them, in her mind, "the mother" and "the actress". I've not done this in other reviews, but I'm going to go ahead and quote my favorite scene in this book:

--Alice looked at Lydia in pieces, close-up snapshots of her features. She recognized each one like people recognized the house they grew up in, a parent's voice, the creases of their own hands, instinctively, without effort or conscious consideration. But strangely, she had a hard time identifying Lydia as a whole.
"You're so beautiful," said Alice. "I'm afraid of looking at you and not knowing who you are."
"I think that even if you don't know who I am someday, you'll still know that I love you."
"What if I see you, and I don't know that you're my daughter, and I don't know that you love me?"
"Then, I'll tell you that I do, and you'll believe me"--

I absolutely loved this scene because it just felt so real and raw to me. As her youngest child and the one from whom she was most distant, it makes sense that Lydia would be the first she'd start to forget. This is one of the times where she is realizing that she's starting to forget her own child. Everything about this scene is perfect for me. And it's so true, once someone you love forgets you, you just tell them that you love them and hope that they believe you.

The only thing that bugged me in the book was her husband John's response to her. I totally understand why he was being distant, he couldn't bear seeing her descent into madness, but it still bugged me.

I would definitely recommend this book to others. It takes a little bit to get started, but the story is ultimately beautiful. There are a few swear word sprinkled throughout, specifically the f word, but I honestly believed, for once, it was well used in a book. Where the character was at emotionally when she used it, was exactly on point. Other than that, I don't believe there is much, if any, sexual references.

My Rating 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment