Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book 6: Diveregent

Still on a dystopia kick, I went with Divergent by Veronica Roth for book six.


Author Links: Website / Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads / Tumblr

Buy it Now: Amazon / Barnes and Noble








Book Summary:
Society has come to a breaking point, and in order to prevent war they have separated into five factions. The Abnegation believe the fall of society came about because of greed and selfishness, so they have given up all things considered self-indulgent and pledged to act selflessly. The Amity believe aggression to be the root cause to society's downfall, so they have chosen to be peaceful at all costs. The Erudite think ignorance is the issue and seek the never-ending path to complete knowledge acquirement. The Dauntless are the brave and courageous who believe society's true problem was from cowardice. Lastly, the Candor, who think human duplicity was the issue, took to always telling the truth and speaking their mind.

Beatrice Prior was born into Abnegation, but has always had trouble being selfless, as she knows she should. When her aptitude test ends up inconclusive, she struggles to understand why being a Divergent is so dangerous and chooses to leave her family and join Dauntless. As war between factions breaks out, she begins to understand what being a Divergent truly means and how she can use her ability to help those around her.


My Review:
This is my favorite book I have read so far this year. I seriously struggled putting it down the day I started it and was almost late for work. First off, the book is very well written. The characters truly came to life for me. By the end of the novel, I felt like I actually knew Beatrice (aka Tris) and Four (yes that's his nickname). Reading how Beatrice processes through everything was one of my favorite aspects of the book. She knows that she is different, but she doesn't fully understand why or how she is different. And since she's been told to not let anyone know she's divergent because of how dangerous it would be, she has no one to talk to about it. I also really liked getting Four's background. I guessed early on who Four actually was, but I liked that Roth keeps that a secret until Four feels that it is time for Tris to find out.

There honestly wasn't anything that I didn't like at all about this book. Everything about it was just fabulous to me. I would definitely recommend this to others. There is minimal swearing and a few sexual references. Nothing too graphic though; they basically just kiss a lot and talk about having sex.

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment