Friday, February 1, 2013

Book 4: Matched

I love dystopian novels. From the moment I read The Giver in 7th grade, I was hooked. Recently there has been an overflow of dystopian novels coming out, from the Hunger Games trilogy to the Uglies series to my choice for book four, Matched by Ally Condie.


Author Links: Website / Facebook / Twitter

Buy it now: Amazon / Barnes and Noble








Book Summary:
Cassia Reyes is your average teenage girl who lives in a perfect world where she has no worries or hard choices because the Society makes them all. From what you eat to how you dress, where you'll work, and who you'll marry, everything is decided for you, even when you'll die.

On the night of her match banquet, Cassia learns that her perfect match is none other than her best friend Xander Carrow, but the next day when she looks at his microcard, it's not only Xander's face she sees but also Ky Markham's. Thrown, she's unsure of what to do or who to tell. When an official shows up to inform her that there was a glitch in the system and that Ky can't be her match because he's an Abberation, she's initially relieved. For some reason, though, she can't seem to get Ky out of her head, and after getting to know him better, she begins to question if the Society is as good as she thought it was.

My Review:
This is one of those books that going in, I just knew was going to be awesome and I would love it. I was sadly mistaken. Now, don't get me wrong, the book is good, I just don't think it's up to caliber with the other dystopian novels I've read in recent years. It wasn't until about half way through, that this book finally grabbed my interest. In general, the concept of the book is really good. The idea that the government literally decides who you are going to be through your entire life is an interesting one. I also thought Condie's writing style was lovely.

I, however, didn't enjoy the main character of Cassia. I just didn't really get her at all. Basically, she falls in love with this guy just because the Society has told her not to. Really? I get that she's just a teenager and they fall in and out of love quicker than I can snap my fingers, but I just think that sort of premise is a bit ridiculous, especially since the entire time she's trying to convince herself that she didn't fall in love with Ky for this reason. On this same thought, the way she treated Xander made me want to punch her. Yes, I actually wanted to punch a fictional character. I really liked the character of Xander. He is a nice guy who does everything he can for Cassia, and she basically blows him off. The character of Ky is much harder for me to review. I think he's a genuinely nice kid who's been dealt a bad lot in life, but it bugs me that he is friends with Xander and then pretty much does everything he can to steal Cassia away.

All in all, I would recommend this book to others, especially for young teens. I'm not sure that there is any swearing in this book, if there is, it is VERY minimal, and there are no sexual references. The worst it gets is kissing and talking of having kids, nothing more.

My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment